This nutty flavored green is especially good with crunchy walnuts! You do not need much oil so be careful when you add it to the arugula.
- 4 cups washed arugula, small leaves with larger leaves cut in half
- 1 tablespoon of walnut or olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup roasted walnuts, whole or chopped
In a large salad bowl, drizzle the oil over the arugula leaves, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add a small amount of salt and freshly ground pepper and toss salad in a large bowl. Check flavor and add more lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add walnuts on top to finish salad off.
- Add other vegetables, such as tomatoes, onions, boiled new potatoes, steamed chilled asparagus, green beans, or any leftover veggie.
- Replace oil and lemon juice with Lemon Vinaigrette (page 56).
- Add ½ cup of roasted cashews instead of walnuts.
- Add caramelized onions and spicy almonds with Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing instead of the freshly squeezed lemon juice and the walnut or olive oil.
- Add thinly sliced pears with Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing instead of the freshly squeezed lemon juice and the walnut or olive oil.
Arugula is also called rocket. It makes delicious salads but works well sautéed as a side or added to soups.